Held in March each year in the warm waters at Kingscliff on the wave rich Tweed Coast the Australian Longboard Surfing Open is a five day celebration of longboard surfing and the surfing lifestyle. It started life as the ‘Malfunction’ in 1984 as an excuse to get together with like minded surfers. Back then the contest being designed for those that wanted to get back to having fun in the waves. The first event was won by surfing legend Jeff Hakman from the USA. There is no doubt that this was the start of something really big when it happened the first time. This original event brought legions of ‘legends from the 50’s and 60’s out of retirement and back into the limelight.
It features heavily in the North Coast Destination Network Sport Tourism Strategy. The event has the full support of the Tweed Community, Tweed Shire Council and Tourism operators in the region. It also has the support of the North Coast’s large scale cooperative marketing program – The Legendary Pacific Coast.
• The promotion of surfing as a healthy and enjoyable sport for pleasure and competition
• To encourage international and interstate visitors and surfers to the Tweed Coast
• To highlight and promote Kingscliff as a world class, surfing destination
• The support the development and growth of business in Northern NSW
• To create awareness of the event nationally and internationally